Tuesday, September 20, 2005

From ITV: London bombers staged trial run

Thanks to Velveeta, WestCoastGal and FreeperFromNJ at FreeRepublic for pointing out the following:


London bombers staged 'dummy run'

20 September 2005


London bombers staged trial run
2.44PM, Tue Sep 20 2005

The July 7 bombers took part in a "dummy run" of the attacks two weeks before carrying out the atrocity.

Police have released CCTV footage of the men as they staged a reconnaissance mission on the capital's transport network on June 28.

Evidence of the dummy run will provide further weight to the theory that all four had planned to detonate their rucksack bombs on the underground.

It is thought that the bus bomber, Hasib Hussain, was prevented from getting in the Northern Line on the day of the attacks because of disruption to the service.

The other bombers, Shehzad Tanweer, Germaine Lindsay and the suspected ringleader Mohammad Sidique Khan detonated their devices almost simultaneously.

Scotland Yard's investigation into the attacks is the biggest operation in the history of the force.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, head of Scotland Yard's Anti-Terrorist Branch, revealed details of the bombers' dummy run.

Sidique Khan and Tanweer met Lindsay at Luton station at around 8.10am. They bought tickets and caught a Thameslink train to King's Cross.

Further CCTV footage recovered by police shows them arriving at 8.55am. There was a further sighting of the three at Baker Street at midday.

They were captured again on CCTV leaving King's Cross at 12.50pm before arriving back in Luton at 1.40pm.

Detectives are anxious to find out what the men were doing during their three-hour trip to London, and in particular, whether they met anyone.

Mr Clarke said: "The implication is that they were possibly conducting reconnaissance on that day. We know that is part of a terrorist's methodology: to check timings, layout and security precautions.

"We are trying to reconstruct their movements as far as we can on that day. What we want to know is where else they went and did they meet anybody else while they were in London?

"If any member of the public thinks that they know something about the movement of these men on that day, they should call us on the anti-terrorist hotline."

The images of the men on June 28 were discovered among the 80,000 CCTV tapes seized by police since the investigation into the terror attacks began.

They show three of the four bombers apparently relaxed and in casual clothes mingling among ordinary commuters just 10 days before they unleashed death and carnage on the capital.

Earlier this month, a video suicide message from Sidique Khan emerged in which he claimed that the British public were to blame for the terror attacks.

And a tape broadcast on Arab television showed al-Qaeda's second in command Ayman al-Zawahri saying the attack was a strike at 'British arrogance'.

He said: "The London attack is one of the attacks that al-Qaeda had the honour of carrying out against British arrogance, the aggression of the crusader British against the Muslim nation for over a hundred years."

He denounced Britain for "the historical crime of setting up Israel and the continuing crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"These and other attacks have revealed the true hypocritical face of Western civilization that talks about human rights and freedom only as long as it is in its interest," he said.

US counterterrorism officials said the tape was "al-Qaeda's clearest public statement to date suggesting that they were responsible for the London attack."

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/britain_894870.html

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home